[PROJ] Support request for using PROJ in CMake projects

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 6 08:35:23 PST 2024

Jean,

> Thank you very much for your quick reply.
>
> Yes I’ve installed PROJ using miniconda, as I already had it installed
> on my computer, it was easier.
>
> But unfortunately, I got the same error message.
>
> And I am a bit annoyed having to install PROJ, I just want to use some
> features of PROJ in our opensource project.
>
> I have QGIS installed on my computer, so PROJ is already installed.
>
> Moreover, we’re using appveyor for our CI, and PROJ does not seem to
> be pre-installed on appveyor windows images :
>
> https://www.appveyor.com/docs/windows-images-software/

Yes, too specialized to be on generic purposes CI images

> Does it mean we’ll have to install PROJ on appveyor machine for every
> build of the CI ?

yes

> If you have an example of an opensource project using PROJ with CMake
> and CI, I’m interesting to have its reference.

GDAL, QGIS, etc.

Use a package manager as suggested to install PROJ on your CI: vcpkg,
conda, etc.

For example
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/.github/workflows/cmake_builds.yml#L425

Or potentially use
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/ExternalProject.html, but
you'll likely have the same issues with PROJ's dependencies: curl, libtiff