[PROJ] Unexpected CRS Validation Error

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 28 10:51:58 PDT 2024

Le 28/03/2024 à 17:47, Simon Eves a écrit :
> Seems like whether a PROJ warning is reported as an error or warning
> depends on whether it has "Default it to" in the text. This one does
> not, and is returned as an error. The logic here is unclear to me.

yes, there was indeed a discrepancy between the documented behavior of
the PROJ C API and what the PROJ C++ API offered to fulfill it. That
should be solved by https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/4108

However as noted in the updated documentation, the distinction between
warnings and errors is probably not that much relevant, and the mapping
to the OSRValidate() API that dates backs to well before the complete
revanp done in PROJ 6+GDAL 3 is even more arbitrary. The bottom line is
that if OSRValidate() returns a non-OGRERR_NONE code, there's something
that is non nominal, and human expertise is required to assess if it can
be ignored or not.