[Proj4j] Comparison of GeoAPI, CTS and GeoTools?

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Mon Jan 18 15:14:59 EST 2010

Michael,

Inspired by your work on CTS, I decided it would be worth looking at
GeoAPI to see whether it could provide a model for the future design of
Proj4J.  It certainly seems to be very complete and thorough.

One question I have is:  you mentioned that GeoTools had a lot of
classes, which made it complex to use.  Is this complexity due to
following GeoAPI?  And if so, does that mean that there should be some
caution around trying to follow the GeoAPI model too closely, since it
is likely to introduce unnecessary complexity?

One change to Proj4J I do intend to make is to change the
CoordinateSystem class to be CoordinateReferenceSystem.  This follows
the distinction made in GeoAPI, which seems to be a good idea.  Whether
an explict CoordinateSystem is required is another question - Proj4
doesn't support different CSes, so maybe it's not necessary right now.

Martin

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect