[pycsw-devel] PyCSW Harvesting

Adrià Mercader amercader.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:22:37 PST 2012

On 18 December 2012 03:32, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > From: rhodges at ecotrust.org
> > To: pycsw-devel at lists.osgeo.org
> > Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:03:56 -0800
> > Subject: [pycsw-devel] PyCSW Harvesting
>

> > I’ve been testing out harvesting with PyCSW and I’m pretty impressed, right off the bat harvesting from CSW sources (including GeoNetwork and GeoPortal, ISO19139 and FGDC) was fairly smooth. However, I didn’t have any success harvesting a CKAN 1.8 instance or between PyCSW instances, and I also failed to harvest from PyCSW using CKAN 1.8, GeoPortal, or GeoNetwork (all of the failed tests were with ISO 19139 documents).
For the record, the CSW interface offered by CKAN 1.8 is very limited,
not intended to be use as a production CSW interface. CKAN 2.0 will
use pycsw as CSW interface.

> > Does this sound about right?
> >
> > I can understand failing on harvesting CKAN 1.8, as it was (as I understand) only set up to serve CSW to be >harvested from by GeoNetwork instances, though CKAN 2.0 should be better thanks to PyCSW.
>
> Yes, for the record, some of the CKAN issues were discussed on the ckan-dev mailing list last month:
>
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-dev/2012-November/003406.html
>
> Having said this, CKAN is moving ahead with pycsw integration (Adrià: any update?), so I imagine some of these issues may go away in terms of CSW interoperability.
It is indeed, slowly but surely :) Other priorities have moved it
forward to January, but we have a plan and expect to start working on
it on January.

Cheers,

Adrià

> ..Tom