[pycsw-devel] Issues with the PostGIS backend + real live metadata

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Wed Aug 21 09:35:18 PDT 2013

Thanks Angelos and Tom for the quick merges and comments,

On 21 August 2013 16:11, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-08-21, at 11:02, "Angelos Tzotsos" <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Adrià Mercader <adria.mercader at okfn.org>
> wrote:
>
> I usually create plpythonu functions even if PostGIS is present. This way if
> for some reason postgis gets unavailable in the future, pycsw will continue
> to work.
> But yes, you understood correctly, thanks for the fix.

The plpythonu functions add complexity to the setup process and future
migrations of the db, as they need to be created by a superuser, so
we'd rather avoid them.

>> * On several documents I tried I got exceptions because the fields
>> defined were too short:
>>
>> DataError('(DataError) value too long for type character varying(256)\n',)
>>
>> See eg the abstract field in [3][4] or conditionapplyingtoaccessanduse
>> in [5] (you find this with much more fields once you start importing
>> large numbers of records).
>> I'm not a DB expert, and I certainly can't talk for sqlite, but I
>> would imagine that changing the column definitions to character
>> varying(x) to text would have no effect on performance while removing
>> all kind of text length limit problems. This is a good resource [6]
>

> +1
>
> +1. Can someone open a ticket here?
>
> Adrià: this fix we can't backport to 1.6 branch, so the fix will be applied
> to master (which will end up in 1.8.0).
>
> Is this okay with you? Can you libe with this in master until 1.8.0 is cut?
> Not sure what your pycsw version requirements are.

We will require whatever version that will include the 2 previous
fixes (indent and srid typo), which are the ones the prevent our
setup. I assume those will be available on a 1.6.x version.
This one would be nice to have, but we can let users decide as maybe
it does not affect their metadata.

>> * As a really minor general comment, the exceptions raised while
>> document, making difficult to know what actually went wrong.
>
> Yes this is true.
> Fixed in master and 1.6 branch.
Great

Adrià