[pycsw-devel] General CSW questions

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 09:09:54 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>From: iedwards.pub at gmail.com
>>Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:03:21 +0100
>>To: pycsw-devel at lists.osgeo.org
>>Subject: [pycsw-devel] General CSW questions
>>

>>Is there a forum anywhere for generic CSW questions?  I'm new to CSW and pycsw and I have a few up front>questions that I've been unable to find answers to before getting stuck in.
>>

> fwiw, the OGC Forum exists for generic questions, see http://www.ogcnetwork.net/forum/18 for CSW.
>

>>I'm trying to determine whether all transactions can/should take place through the CSW (CSW-T)>interfaces.
>>

> CSW-T supports the following use cases:
>
> - insert a full metadata record
> - update metadata records
>  - in full or a specific part of it (queryable, XPath)
>  - supports bulk updates using OGC Filter syntax
> - delete metadata records
>  - supports bulk deletes using OGC Filter syntax
> - harvesting disparate metadata
>
>>I'm interested in:a) accessing change log (revision history) of metadata records - including who made>changes, date/time of modification etc.
>>

> This is not supported in CSW-T per se, however some metadata management environments probably support this (I'm thinking GeoNetwork).
>
> The GeoNode project (http://geonode.org), which is powered by pycsw, is experimenting with GeoGit (http://geogit.org) for data/metadata, but I'm not sure how mature this is yet.

Not sure that GeoGit is a good fit for this kind of thing, might be
able to be made to do this, but its primary goal is to version the
data. We have looked at things like django-reversion
https://github.com/etianen/django-reversion inside GeoNode to do
versioning on the metadata records and I suspect it wouldnt be that
difficult to implement, but we just havent done it yet.