[pycsw-devel] Call for OWS Common Server Python base

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 16:26:51 PDT 2013

[please use updated email lists above]

Jachym: thanks for posting.  Comments interleaved.

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:04:27 +0200
> From: Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com>
> To: Pywps Devel <pywps-devel at wald.intevation.org>, pywps-dev at lists.osgeo.org,
>     "owslib-devel at lists.sourceforge.net" <owslib-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>     gispython.org community projects <community at lists.gispython.org>,
>     OSGeo Discussions <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: [Pywps-dev] Call for OWS Common Server Python base
>
> Hi all Geo-Pythonists,
>
> [please spread between communities, sorry for crossposting]
>
> today, we (me, Tom Kralidis and Angelos Tzotsos) had IRC discussion (on
> #geopython channel), and we all came to conslusion, that it it would be
> nice, to share some code base and start to work on common OWS-server
> implementation, which could cover needs of various projects (currently
> PyWPS and pycsw), for their server-side implementation.
>

> As you might know, PyWPS started to be rewritten from scratch and some
> currently used approaches seems to be interesting for others as well.
> Pycsw is on the other hand widely used, they are both OGC OWS
> implementations and so, they have some common needs (for example
> Exception handelings, the whole server-side infrastructure,  etc.).

Agreed, it would be great to have concerted efforts here, e.g.:

- OWS Common (1.0, 1.1, 2.0)
- Pythonic Exception handling
- GetCapabilities constructs (OperationsMetadata, server metadata, etc.)
- SOAP
- HTTP GET/POST/POST XML

> So we would like to invite all members of the (open source) geo-python
> community to join us on OWSLib-dev mailing list [1] (because the library
> could be part of it, as owslib/server) within a week from now.

In the end (or the beginning?), this would make very easy bootstrapping
a Python geospatial lib/project with standards-based interfaces, where
the downstream developer would simply provide some setup and owslib.service
takes care of the rest.

> The discussion will start there beginning with *monday 24.10.2013*.
> Please, drop short information about you and project, you are interested
> most to this list, once you are connected, so that we know, each other.
>
> We would also like to join the Vienna Code sprint [2] in next year, and
> push the work further forward, if the discussion will lead to common work.

Great idea!