[pygeoapi] search console results

Paul van Genuchten paul.vangenuchten at geocat.net
Thu Jan 16 05:48:55 PST 2020

Hi list, small report from our SEO team

I incidentally check google search console to verify if critical messages occur related to crawling of our demo instance

Crawling coverage is quite constant these days at 6000, which i guess is a subset of the total items in the demo instance

Although totally not relevant for a demo instance, the graph below displays the search behavior of the application, pygeoapi items have occurred on google search results a 1000 time, leading to 28 clicks.

Popular search terms with hits are: “geojson italy”, “pois italy”, “wfs utah”, “geoserver swagger”, “railway api github”, “castles in netherlands”, “santander totta torres vedras”

Some comments from the structured data testing tool

The collection page seem to have a schema error: "The property Place is not recognised by Google for an object of type Place.”

"spatial": [{"Place": {"@type": "GeoShape", "box”:

shouldn’t it be?

"spatial": [{“@type”:”Place”, “geo”: {“@type”:”GeoShape”, "box”:

see https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/issues/342 <https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/issues/342>

Items have no type, google doesn’t like it, a suggestion could be to use the “Place” type for them, and maybe give an option to configure more specific types such as Accommodation <https://schema.org/Accommodation>, AdministrativeArea <https://schema.org/AdministrativeArea>, CivicStructure <https://schema.org/CivicStructure>, Landform <https://schema.org/Landform>, LandmarksOrHistoricalBuildings <https://schema.org/LandmarksOrHistoricalBuildings>, LocalBusiness <https://schema.org/LocalBusiness>, Residence <https://schema.org/Residence>, TouristAttraction <https://schema.org/TouristAttraction>

Let me know if you have additional ideas on this topic.

Regards, Paul.