[Pywps-dev] wps workshop roundup

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:06:56 PST 2014

Hi all,

one more time: big thanks to Luis and Ulrich from CRP Henri Tudor, and COST
action, which made it possible, this event - wps workshop - happen.
We had great time, had load of presentations and discussions about WPS, WPS
2.0.0, PyWPS, 52North WPS, cooperation, future, past, presence etc.
Presentations and photos should be online soon.

To round several things up, we started to code back-end of future PyWPS
(currently in the outputs branch), inspired by work of Alex Morega, but also by
our talks.

License
-------

We agreed, best license model for future version of PyWPS (known as PyWPS-4)
will be MIT [1] to open PyWPS usage to bigger potential market. I was also
picked as current copyright holder, to make things easier.

License header I would propose for PyWPS-4, would look like this:

    Copyright (C) 2014 PyWPS Development Team, represented by Jachym Cepicky

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
    of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to
    deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
    rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
    sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
    furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
    all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
    FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
    IN THE SOFTWARE.

I would therefore ask Alex Morega explicitly, since he was not at the meeting
and since he already made major contribution to PyWPS-4 branch, but also all
others, if you do agree on this. I'll then add header to existing files.

OSGeo
-----

We will restart the incubation process of PyWPS, so it becames OSGeo project.
Steering committee will have to be formed - will ask you all for joining, once
it's needed.

Coding
------
What about weekly hangouts? Or one in two weeks?

Jachym

P.S. work will continue with basic validators

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License
--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky at gmail com