[Pywps-dev] [GSOC] Process control

Jan Rudolf rudolja1 at fit.cvut.cz
Mon May 23 14:59:07 PDT 2016

Thanks you both for comments. I created a simple example of
pause/suspend, resume, termination here
https://github.com/jan-rudolf/python-process-control. Try to run it.
It's a combination of multiprocessing and psutil library. I hope, the
README me explain it well.

Dne 2016-05-23 10:14, Jonas Eberle napsal:
> Hi,
>
> please be aware the "ctrl-z" is not pausing the process, it puts the
> process in the background (still running). From the terminal you can
> then start another process. So this is not about pausing and resuming.
> I quickly found an example how it could work, first put the process in
> the background, second stop (kill -STOP) the process and third resume
> (kill -CONT) the process:
> http://vertito.blogspot.de/2007/11/stop-pause-and-continue-linux-process.html
>
> But be aware, pausing and resuming are always OS dependent tasks. This
> need to be taken into account.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonas
>
> ----- Am 22. Mai 2016 um 23:20 schrieb Jachym Cepicky
> <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>> thanks for the info. About "controlling": we need at least "kill",
>> "pause" and "resume" process. As far as I understand it, kill could
>> be implemented using os.kill (if you know the process ID from the
>> operating system point of view - it should be stored in the sqlite
>> database for now). For pause and resume, I would suggest to find
>> similar way as hitting "ctrl-z" in the command line, which "pauses"
>> running process in the terminal and to get it in frontend again, you
>> run the "fg" command - if you undestand what I'm talking about. I
>> did not study, how this is usually done on system level (in unix
>> systems), this is just my practical observation
>>
>> so 21. 5. 2016 v 23:14 odesílatel Jan Rudolf <rudolja1 at fit.cvut.cz>
>> napsal:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to inform you about my status: my semester in school ends
Thank you both for comments. I created simple script in repo
https://github.com/jan-rudolf/python-process-control

>>> tomorrow. I've got final exams from Graph algorithms this Thursday
>>> and
>>> from Linear algebra a week after. Hope, I make it without problems
>>> (these two are the hardest), the rest will be ok/not that time
>>> consuming.
>>>
>>> Jachym specified top 4 goals for me on IRC meeting:
>>> step 1: you get PyWPS up and running and you will be able to run
>>> several
>>> asynchronous processes on your computer
>>> step 2: find out, what is the python way to control (and if
>>> possible) in
>>> background running processes
>>> step 3: create API (rest) for this controlling
>>> step 4: if there is time, create web UI
>>>
>>> I have working PyWPS with Apache on my computer. Don't know if
>>> it's the
>>> case, that I have Mac OS, but I had a little bit trouble to set up
>>> according to Github - so I can check it later on Ubuntu for
>>> example
>>> and/or make a manual for Mac. So step 1 is done.
>>>
>>> Next is step 2. I would like to in next week or two create
>>> demonstrative
>>> applications (not interfering PyWPS repo) about possibilities of