[PyWPS-dev] wps raster processing pipeline (chaining)

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Sun Feb 2 02:47:53 PST 2020

Hi All,

I'm new to pywps :)
I'm trying to find a way to make an efficient raster processing pipeline.
For instance, with Geoserver wps I was able to chain wps requests to make
the following chain:
1. clipping a DEM raster from a geoserver layer.
2. apply an SLD style
3. publish the result on geoserver.

I wanted to know how can I do something similar with pywps and possibly
reuse gdal tools (such as gdal_translate, gdal_transform or gdaldem via
their python interfaces)
Some points to consider:
1. I couldn't find a way to chain requests on pywps.
2. As raster data can be heavy, ideally intermediate rasters won't be
saved/loaded to disk, but kept in memory and deleted once the result is
ready (maybe use gdal memory raster?)
3. I want to make use of cache in a way that multiple requests for the same
input raster(s) blocks will make use of cache (maybe gdal internal cache
could be good).
4. Is there a best practice for serving the result raster(s) and possibly
use them as cache in case the same request is submitted again to the
service?

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Kind regards,
Idan