[work] [Qgis-community-team] Re: Python plugins and C++ plugins: using different terms

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Thu Aug 7 10:41:25 EDT 2008

In 10 seconds of in-depth research in Wikipedia, I come to the
conclusion that the terms plugin, addon and extension are
interchangeable. So it seems confusing to me to introduce more than one-
it suggests a difference which doesn't exist.

The user guide will follow the GUI, so I think it is premature to talk
about what language will be used in the user guide.
First, decide how the GUI will deal with the issue of a separate
mechanism for plugin installation, then the user guide language will
follow naturally.

At present, the Plugin menu seems quite confusing to me. IMO, the Plugin
Installer should not appear within the list of other enabled plugins,
but should be above the divider, together with Plugin Manager. I would
rather see actions phrases (Install Plugins, Manage Plugins) similar to
(most) other menu items, such as Add a Vector Layer.
And then it makes sense to have a submenu under Install Plugins for
(Install Python Plugins) and (Install C++ Plugins). Otherwise, how would
one know that there are C++ plugins to install? If there is no dialog
box for installing C++ Plugins, this could simply lead to a popup with
instructions.

By the way, how does one "uninstall" plugins?

Tara

--
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470