[Qgis-community-team] Re: Plugins??

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Aug 8 18:33:00 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/8/8 Agustin Lobo <Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es>:
> Sorry I could not answer earlier.

No problem

> Note that the plugin mentioned by Tim is a C++ plugin, not
> a python plugin. In order to get this new C++ plugin,
> you have to either compile the development version using
> svn (a bit involved) or wait until the new version 1.0 around 15/09/2008.
> Please, Tim, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. We will probably be making some preview releases so
you may get to use it sooner than the date stated above.

> (Regarding C++ plugins: eVIS is another example of C++ plugin, ready
> for current 0.11. You download a binary and copy it in the
> appropriate directory specified in the directions. From there
> on, you manage it using the "plugin manager", but you cannot
> install it using the "plugin installer". Note that this
> plugin has nothing to see with the coordinates
> problem, it is just to explain the difference between C++ plugins and
> python plugins).

Correct

> Tim et al.:, you see that we do need a different term? It's not
> a conceptual problem, it's an operational problem. If we keep
> the same term we'll see this type of confusion over an over.
> From the point of view of a user, they are different because
> you install them in a totally different way, and if they
> are different they should have different names.

I'm not convinced we need to change terms. A plugin is a plugin
regardless of the language it was created in. Rather I think we need
to try to make things so that it is more obvious to the user what is
going on. I prefer to wait until Tom merges in his menu changes before
I tackle anything like this though.

> Michael: if you cannot wait, go for the development version, it's
> a bit involved but not impossible. Directions in
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingFromSource
> and select your OS there (if it's Win, it's harder, I think).

If you are on ubuntu heron I or Jef could probably whip up a preview
build for you in the next few days.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net