[Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0 Branched - please read to prepare for 1.0.0 release!

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 16 14:28:19 EST 2008

Hi

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 19:25 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Otto Dassau ha scritto:
> > Hi Tim,
>
> >> Sponsors:
> >> -------------
> >>
> >> We need to ensure any new sponsors have been added to SPONSORS in src.
> >> If you are a sponsor of QGIS, please contact use if your name is not
> >> mentioned in the help->about box and you would like it to be. Paolo
> >> can you follow up this item and check it off on the release checklist
> >> when you are done?
>
> Page should be ready:
> http://qgis.osgeo.org/sponsoring.html
> Waiting for your comments.
> Please note there are still a few questions unresolved:
> - sponsorship levels; OSGeo levels are: 27/9/3k; I suggest adding a
> bronze at 500; do we feel these are too high?

Personally I dont know how many people are going to drop 27k in our laps
- maybe we should just leave the numbers as they are and see what
happens though...

> - how do we consider an organization (think of Kanton Solothurn and City
> of Uster, our major contributors) when they do not provide money
> directly, but hire a developer specifically for working on QGIS? Should
> we establish an equivalence (e.g. one dev full time= platinum, one 50%
> of time= gold, etc.), or just ignore it? I think there are strong points
> with each approach.

I don't know either. It certainly does seem to be fair and worthwhile to
acknowledge this type of contribution. On the other hand the money isn't
being directed into our sponsorship programme to meet our stated goals
(e.g. funding hackfests etc) and rather is being directed to meet the
organisation's own specific goals. By this logic individual developers
could add up the man hours we have spent on the project and call
ourselves Platinum / Gold etc sponsors of the project based on the money
we would have generated had it been commercial work...

One of the important goals of sponsorship is that we can generate funds
to do the 'unsexy' parts of the QGIS project like documentation, design
and discussion of architecture, fund travel for meetings etc etc  -
things that companies typically wouldn't fund for their own purposes.
With this in mind I think it probably makes sense to regard these
contributions as 'donations' rather than sponsorship as per the
definitions I laid out in my original email - i.e. a once off 'in kind'
contribution to the project.

We should certainly credit all donors (and past finantial contributors
should probably be renamed from sponsors to donors too).

> - can we still say we are an all-volunteer project?

I guess not. Say rather 'largely  volunteer project'.

> - do we have an active PayPal account to link to the page?

As far as I know not.

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net