[Qgis-community-team] Re: user guide updates- comments and questions

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Mon Jul 28 11:02:19 EDT 2008

Hi Otto- sorry, I didn't read your original email carefully.

Originally, I had the macros in the conventions.tex file because they
were "experimental" and it seemed better and easier to keep them
together with the conventions content because many changes were being
made. Also, I was using the content of conventions.tex as the
documentation for the macros at that time.

Now that the macros are becoming more stable, and they have their own
documentation and something of a system for categorizing, it does make
sense to move them into the sty file.

However, I am not sure it make sense for the usage examples that deal
with the English rather than the latex to be in the sty file - perhaps
they should be in conventions.tex instead. My original intention was
that conventions.tex would serve as a template for all other sections.
So a new documentation writer would start with conventions.tex as a
guide, and perhaps not realize that additional information was contained
in the sty file. So I would like to make conventions.tex self-contained,
where it is not necessary to look at the sty file unless one wants to
actually change a macro definition.  Does this make sense?

Tara

Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Tara,
>
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:29:08 -0700
> Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:
>

>> Ok, I have removed the macros from the sty file and added a lot of
>> comments to conventions.tex., including a usage example for each macro.
>>

> ok, this is a possible way, but why do you think it is better to put all the
> macros in the conventions.tex and not in the qgis_style.sty? Isn't it better to
> have all macros in one style file? Because usually people looking for existing
> macros etc. would open the .sty file first and not in conventions.tex.
>

>> 1. I have a few questions for the user quide team. I have noticed that
>> there is a lot of individual variation about the wording that is used to
>> describe user instructions. What do you all think about trying to
>> standardize this wording - is it worth the effort? I don't want to get
>> too bogged down in unnecessary style requirements when there will be a
>> great deal of effort needed to update content.
>> Example: different ways to talk about a tool button
>> a. Click on \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label}
>> b Click on the \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label} button
>> c. Click on the \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label} tool
>> d. Click on \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label} from the toolbar
>> e. Click on \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label} from the ToolbarName toolbar
>> f. Choose \toolbtntwo{iconname}{Label}
>>
>> and so on- the variations could be endless.
>>
>> If we agree to a consistent style, I can put examples in the usage
>> section for each macro. My own preference is (e).
>>

> good idea. Please add examples in the usage section for each macro. Since we are
> all no native english speakers, it would be helpful, if you provide a consistent
> style for us. Can you add this to the ManualReleaseChecklist1.0 where you think
> it makes sense?
>

>> 2. Is there a need for a SQL macro? I have noticed that a common
>> convention for SQL code and keywords is bold uppercase. However, the GUI
>> does not use this. For example there is a label  "SQL where clause" in
>> some dialog.
>>

> no - wedon't need a SQL macro, I think
>

>> 3. Would it be possible to include a section covering all the GRASS
>> modules. Personally, what I would like to have is a listing of each
>> module with a short description of its purpose and a link to the more
>> detailed instructions, similar to what is available from the GRASS
>> toolbox in QGIS. In this way, users who are skimming the user guide to
>> see if QGIS will do what they want will have information about the
>> capabilities available through the GRASS modules. At present, you can
>> only get this by actually opening the GRASS toolbox in QGIS and looking
>> at each module. And you can only do this after you load a mapset.
>>

> I agree and also already thought about it. Since this is my chapter, I will
> have a look at it and find a solution for that. I added the task to the wiki.
>
>  regards,
>   Otto

> [...]

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470