[Qgis-community-team] joomla-version

Stephan Reber stephan.reber at sr-gis.de
Mon Jun 2 17:57:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have searched for information about the two joomla versions. The main
security problems of joomla in general are extensions and wrong
settings. This is indepedant from the used version. Here is a overview
of the points about security and the support I found.

Joomla1.0:

    * long time experience with security problems
    * stable
    * many extensions with experience about their security
    * only security patches for a certain time (depends on how long 1.0
      is widely used, there isn't a deadline yet)
    * there is no update to newer versions of PHP and MySQL in the future

Jooma1.5

    * new security architecture (short time experience)
    * stable
    * fewer extensions (unsecure?)
    * support for a longer time
    * PHP5 works good, PHP4 may cause some problems (performance, stability)
    * there will be support of newer versions of PHP and MySQL
    * with the update to 1.6 (in the last quarter of 2008) there will be
      a access control list and only support of PHP5.2+.

I hope, this will help us with the decision. I tried to be neutral,
though I argumented for the newer version in my last emails. But it is
not so important for me which version we use, as long as the website
works fine.

Regards
Stephan