[Qgis-community-team] http://qgis.osgeo.org/ is online for testing

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Jun 20 16:25:36 EDT 2008

Hi

Ok I'm back at home and had a look at the mock up. I have many many
comments, here is what I can manage before I fall asleep at the
keyboard :-) I appreciate that others may have different opinions,
these are just mine...

- When you navigate away from the front page there is nothing to tell
you what site you are on. Every page should have at minimum the qgis
icon and the words 'Quantum GIS' at the top of the page. I think this
may be best placed above the osgeo logo in the left cl, but Im not
sure without seeing it in reality. Then the osgeo logo could go under
it.
- The features list should be split into two, left aligned columns so
that the features appear 'above the fold'
- Articles on front page (and probably elsewhere) should not have date
/ time / pdf etc icons. For me it adds a lot of visual clutter and ads
no real benifit and in worst case makes it look like QGIS was born
this week only :-P
- I like the right aligned top menu bar and now I think the
accessibility icons are a) wasting space b) looking a bit strange
because the blue bar is wider then the menu bar below it and isnt
rounded like the bar below. I suggest to remove that current
accessibility bar and put the icons left aligned on the top menu bar
since we have the free space there.
- The QGIS screenie with the reflection in the intro to qgis paragraph
needs to be a) padded a little from the surrounding text b) aligned so
that the top of the image aligns to the top of the first row of the
intro paragraph
- OSGeo logo should be center aligned in its column
- It would be good to get rid of the main menu module on left all
together - I think the site still has too many things going on.
- When the main menu module is gone, can you put a custom module that
says something like 'Current Version Foo Bar, released 16 of June
2008. Download."
- Put the screenshots link in the top menu.
- When we settle on a plugin repository put the menu item as 'Plugins'
in the top menu.
- We need to get SEO urls working so that this isnt in address bar:
http://qgis.osgeo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=97&Itemid=120
- I think its better to put 'the project' on the front page after the
features list (see comments relating to that above) and remove the
'the project' page.
- the black top menu bar on the right side is missing its rounded
corners like it has to the left side
- can we get rid of the light gray frames around the outside of the content?
- the module box titles (e.g. "Polls") and their content is
disproportionately large comared to the rest of the site.
- can you remove the word 'website' from the window title (i.e. the
site name in configuration) since its redundant to say that this is a
website.

I have many more suggestions but let me leave these ones with you for
general consideration and after the next round of updates Ill give
another round of comments.

Keep up the great work!

Regards

Tim