[Qgis-community-team] manual build procedure

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Mon Jun 30 09:50:47 EDT 2008

Thanks for the explanation- that makes more sense to me now.
Sure, when you have time I think this would be very helpful to find an
alternative to the makefiles.

Thanks, Tara

Thomas Becker wrote:
> Tara, I was not sure about the abilities of make in a msys environment.
>
> Theoretical it should work by running LaTeX in the normal way (latex
> *.tex -> bibtex *.tex -> latex *.tex -> latex *.tex)
>
> As far as I know, Otte wrote the make file also to convert all the
> *.png files to *.eps files. It works fine, but there is also a
> disadvantage in this. While converting the pictures to eps they become
> bigger in memory size. Besides, there is no reason to convert the
> pictures because pdflatex can handle png files and the outcome is a
> pdf file.
>
> For now the process is converting all the pictures to eps,
> runs latex, bibtex, latex the second time and probably a third time as
> well. The outcome of this procedure is a *.ps file. Afterwards a
> conversion is done from *.ps to *.pdf.
>
> However, while using pdflatex we could reduce the procedure to:
>
> 1. pdflatex *.tex
> 2. bibtex *.tex
> 3. pdflatex *.tex
> if necessary
> 4. pdflatex *.tex.
>
> So far I still have to hav a look in the make file to know what is set
> there (e.g. paths to pictures and other files) and then I will try to
> figure out a way how to get this done without using a make file.
> Instead I would like to keep it all in LaTeX, because LaTeX is
> platform independent.
>
> Thomas
>
> Tara Athan schrieb:
>> Thomas- as far as I know, \includegraphics is used for all images.
>>
>> Can you give me more information on how this will work?
>> It would be great to have a single build procedure that is
>> independent of platform, but not so good if this involves splitting
>> off procedures for each platform. Keeping the procedures synchronized
>> might cause more difficulty than the current approach of using msys,
>> which is working fine for me on my Windows XP.
>>
>> Tara
>>
>> Thomas Becker wrote:
>>> Hi Tara,
>>>
>>> at the moment I am a bit busy with my Ph.D. an my following
>>> position. However I was talking with Otto about the manual and the
>>> way how it is build with LaTeX. Since the manual was formerly build
>>> on a LaTeX running on Linux by using 'make' I would like to get the
>>> procedure a bit more independent from the platform.
>>>
>>> How do you get e.g. the images into the file? Are you setting up
>>> every path at the '\includegraphics' command?
>>>
>>> So, when I find time I am working on getting the manual creating
>>> process  running on every LaTeX system out of the box, if this if
>>> fine for you...
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Thomas
>>> Release Date: 6/29/2008 3:09 PM

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470