[Qgis-community-team] Re: latex coding practices

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Tue May 6 23:44:21 EDT 2008

OK, I was able to download the latex version of the manual and take a
quick look through the various sections.
What I see is a lot of inconsistency in format between sections.
This is to be expected, I guess, if the sections are written by
different authors and there is no agreement beforehand as to format.
But I think we need to aim for greater consistency for the 1.0 manual
release.
For a start, I would like to have macros for inline styles to
distinguish command line inputs, file names, buttons and so on.
I see this done frequently in software manuals-  there is a different
style of type for each category, and these are clearly spelled out in
the introduction.

At present there is a wide variety of formats being used.  \textsl is
used for a lot of different things, so it is not obvious when you see
text formated as \textsl what it corresponds to. And the same type of
item, such as an input field selection, is sometimes \textsl, sometimes
in quotes, sometimes \textbf, ...

I would like to hear what the document writers think.
Tara