[Qgis-community-team] website feedback

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu May 15 06:38:24 EDT 2008

Hi Tara and Stephan,

Tara, I found your mail with the feedback you got from visitors to the website.

 Otto

##########

From: Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com>
To: Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [work] QGIS website
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:34:58 -0700

1. turn-around time for approval of registrations of the forum was a consistent
issue

2. viewers with smaller screens thought the 3-column layout of the website was
too crowded. I agree, I find 3-columns websites confusing,  especially on the
first visit, when I am trying to answer the question-  is there anything on this
site worth the investment of time in finding  it.  I suggest going to a 2-column
layout, and modifying the style so  there are more visual cues to separate the
center panel from the  periphery, such as a different color background for the
center panel and  modules, or some changes in the style of the center panel
headings to  draw more attention to the center. (requires modifying html and/or
css  of the template)

3. one viewer suggested we have more visual content on the website, such  as
screenshots of maps produced by QGIS.  I considered running a request  for users
to send in their favorite map and then having a block on the  front page to
display the "map of the month"

4. Backups are a concern.  I stopped working on the website because the  Joomla
backup tool was not working and I was concerned about making  unrecoverable
changes. As I understand it, there is no built in backup  capability in the
default Joomla.  I suggest we uninstall the Site  Backup component, which is not
working, and install another one that does.

5. The syndication is not synchronized with the front page, because the  Home
item in the Main menu is not using the Front Page Component.  I  would suggest
either going back to using the Front Page Component or  dropping the
syndication.

6. To maintain security if the website, the Joomla security checklist  should be
checked and any deficiencies resolved.
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,81058.0.html