[Qgis-community-team] help with manual revision

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sun May 25 08:06:03 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:26:28 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> For all who are interested in helping with the manual revision, I am
> posting tasks in two places:
> 1. the Manual Management Page
> (http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ManualManagement)
> 2. tickets in Trac. To find these, view all tickets, sort by Component
> and .scroll down to the Documentation and Help tickets.
>
> The Manual Management Page will have the "big picture" and the trac
> tickets will have the details and status. I am hoping that, with your
> help, I can keep these two sufficiently complete and synchronized so
> contributors know how to help.
>
> I do need a lot of help because so far I am have not been able to figure
> out how to
>
> 1. compile the manual in latex ( I am now downloading the complete
> MikTeX package as the basic package didn't have everything that was
> needed - it looks like it may take an hour or so to download over my
> broadband connection!!!)

yes, we haven't spent much time on Latex on Windows (and MacOS) so far. But now
we have the chance to catch up on this and we should clearly document it on this
list and finally the wiki. Sorry Tara for beeing the guinea pig here :-). Maybe
we can create an administration group right now with experts for linux, windows
and mac and fill the documentation gap within the next days? Are there any
volunteers for Mac, Windows and Linux, so we can create an "latex administration
group" for the manual" to assist Tara and other manual volunteers? I would
assist as well.

> 2. commit to SVN (I am supposed to have permissions to commit, but when
> I tried to create a directory the commit was rejected)
>
> My feeling so far is that the obstacles to a generic community member,
> especially anyone with a Windows platform, contributing to the
> documentation are HUGE!

yes, but we can try to make them smaller or even disappear :-) so people can
contribute easily.

regards,
 Otto