[work] [Qgis-community-team] alaska dataset for manual examples

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Thu May 29 20:28:43 EDT 2008

Hi, Otto.  I started looking at the data and the wiki.
I have a few questions - (Community Team please join in the discussion)

1. should we be concerned about posting data that has a license that is
not completely compatible with the overall license for our manual and
website, (which is ???). In particular, I notice the Landsat data has a
restriction to non-commercial applications.

2. how much duplication in formats do we want? If the purpose is to be
able to demonstrate QGIS capabilities, then one or two (for overlays)
layers of each format should be enough. If we also want to educate about
what geographical data is available, then it would be interesting to
have more thematic layers. I presume we will provide the complete
dataset as a zip file, as well as individual layers, so it may get
excessively large if we include too much.

3. I have put instructions into the wiki that data contributors should
e-mail the data, or a link, to me. But those with wiki access can also
do what you did- include a link to the data next to the format. Do most
people on the qgis team have wiki access now?  If so, that might be a
better procedure than e-mails.

4. You have demonstrated one way of presenting the layers - as a visible
directory with a README.html file. There are other, more modern ways,
such as document management systems. Is there any down side (security
issues?) to the old-fashioned way?

Tara

Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Tara,
>
> I prepaired a couple of "alaska data" for the manual examples and added
> some notes to the ManualManagement wiki page.
>
> regards,
>  Otto

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470