[Qgis-community-team] Release date for manual 1.1

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:50:40 EDT 2009

Hi team,

> I saw that Carson already did something here.
>
> Carson what was your idea when you created the "plugins_diagram_overlay_images"
> folder? Do you plan to add an extra subsection for this plugin in the plugin
> chapter?

Well for starters I needed an icon for the core plugins chapter ;-)

But yes, I will be adding a section to the plugin as well. It would be
nice to see what Claudia has done as well, so that we don't end up
duplicating each others work... Claudia, have you committed your edits yet?
> Or should it work as for the SPIT Plugin. It is listed in section 12 "Using Core
> Plugins" but there doesn't exist a SPIT plugin subsection. The description can
> be found in section 5.2.4 together with the PostGIS stuff.

hmm, now that I think of it, this might be the best route to take...
this adds more work to Claudia's list, so Claudia if you need help just
let us know... I imagine that in the future the vector overlay stuff
will become completely part of core, so putting it in the working with
vector layers section now might save some hassle later on as well...

In this case, I think I'll add two new subsections for SPIT and the
Overlay stuff in the Using core plugins chapter, pointing the user to
the sections in the working with vector layers Chapter...
> For the diagram_overlay plugin this would mean, we add it to the list of core
> plugins but the description would go into working_with_vector.tex and we use the
> folder diagram_overlay plugin_images/ for the plugin icons and screenies. Is
> that correct?

see above
>> - Changes in attribute table
>> I could not find any description of the attribute table in the manual,
>> but maybe I looked in the wrong place. If there is none, is it
>> necessary to have one? Add another subsection?
>>

> yes, I haven't found anything, too. In the other email I suggested to add a new
> subsubsection to 5.4 Editing \subsection{Working with the attribute table} just
> above the Query Builder?

This would be good. We should at least mention that there is an
attribute table somewhere... also, the attribute table is relatively
fast compared with other GIS, so this should probably be mentioned...

>> - Improved handling of postGIS layers.
>> I did not look around very thoroughly, but at first glance I could not
>> figure out what this exactly refers to.
>>

> I don't know either? Carson, do you know? Otherwise we can ask Jürgen, I guess
> we did those improvements.

Yeh, Jürgen would be the one to ask... the SSL mode change is probably
one of the bigger changes, and increases PostGIS access speed by up to 5
times in some cases!

--
Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow