[Qgis-community-team] compiling manual & image quality

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Fri Aug 21 06:34:08 EDT 2009

Hi Jean Roc,

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:04:10 +0200
MORREALE Jean Roc <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been compiling the french manual for 1.0 (using texlive2008) but
> the quality of the images is very low : the jpg figuring in the final
> pdf are full of compression blocks making some captures hard to read.
>
> All the source's images have been localized and saved as png (96dpi) so
> I would really like to have them show up in a better quality.
>
> What are the right options to change ?

All images are simply converted during compilation without any change of size or
resolution. In the english version, many figures are screenshots with only 72dpi
resolution. You are right they sometimes could be better, but I don't know of
any parameter for dvipdf or dvips conversion that make the images look better,
except using images with a higher resolution - just my 2c.