[Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-user] Wiki migration is done

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Jul 15 11:25:51 EDT 2009

Otto Dassau wrote:

> Hi Agustin,
>
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:55:32 +0200
> Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Otto,
>>
>> When you make a web page the question is not whether a given feature is
>> odd or not to the author and/or developers but whether it make sense for
>> the potential user. And it's
>> very clear that a tab in the main menu named "User's corner" would be
>> much more straightforward for a user than going through a "Wiki" tab
>> that is even not in the Main menu.
>>
>> This is probably not important at this moment
>> as the info currently in the User's corner is not that critical, but I think
>> that the User's corner should become an important part of the QGIS support
>> in the future. I'm trying to re-organize my schedule so that I have time
>> to provide input to that section in the coming months, but this is going
>> to depend on whether I keep using qgis for my course next fall or switch to
>> gvsig. If I keep qgis for my own projects only (this is out of question,
>> as manageR
>> is an invaluable tool for me), I'd be too taken to provide input for the
>> User's Corner.
>>

> I didn't want to bother you - hope I didn't :)! If more people think we need
> an extra main menu link at qgis.org to the "User's corner" in the wiki (apart
> from the general wiki link on top of the webpage) we can do that, but for me it
> doesn't make sense, at least not for the moment. It might change with more
> input and relevance, but in my opinion the current "User's corner" is not more
> important or relevant than many other wiki pages or areas and therefore I don't
> think we should add a direct link to the main menu. But again, if more people
> think we need it, we can this, of course.
>
> But, I also think that we could provide better information about the other
> QGIS web platforms in general. This is missing so far. Therefore, as I wrote
> below, I would suggest to improve the community page and add information about
> the available platforms (wiki, blog, ...) maybe with a special note about the
> "User's corner" here: http://www.qgis.org/en/community.html
>
> What about this idea? And thanks again, that you like the new wiki!

Hi Otto:

When I first look over the wiki  Main Page, it feels like it's intended
mostly (only?) for QGIS developers and project committees, not so much
for users. There's no obvious way to get to the new manual, for example.
No link to documentation (as there *is* on the main QGIS site). No link
to mailing lists or download...

Compare, for example, the GRASS wiki Main Page. On the left menu is a
link straight to Documentation. The GRASS wiki is titled "Welcome to the
GRASS GIS *Users* Wiki". It's obvious the GRASS wiki is aimed at end
users. The QGIS wiki so far doesn't give that impression.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Best Regards,
--
Micha