[Qgis-community-team] Release date for manual 1.1

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:07:37 EDT 2009

Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Claudia and Carson,
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:05:16 -0700
> Claudia A Engel <cengel at stanford.edu> wrote:
>

>> Otto and Carson,
>>
>> I edited the changes for Postgis SLL mode, improved handling of
>> postgis layers and the map units/pixels addition and committed those
>> to svn.
>> These edits are reflected on the Manual Task page. I tested to make
>> sure, and it all seems to compile fine here. I hope this is all ok,
>> but me know if I should do something differently, as I have never done
>> this before.
>>
>> I also added the headers for the following subsections as discussed,
>> but they need to be written:
>> -Spatialite Layers
>> -Diagram overlay tab
>>

> I added the diagram overlay section with an example. I also added a new vector
> shape layer to the qgis sample dataset and updated the files and the readme.txt
> on the server.
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/data/
>
> Maybe you can check if it is ok, especially with the language. It's great to
> have native speakers in the new team :).
>

>> -Working with the attribute table
>>
>> Lastly, the new Vector Load dialogue needs still to be added in. I can
>> probably do this, plus another of the chapters above, this weekend.
>> So if anyone can help out with the other chapters, that would be great.
>>
>> Thanks, Claudia
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Carson Farmer wrote:
>>

>>> Hi team,

>>> Well for starters I needed an icon for the core plugins chapter ;-)
>>>
>>> But yes, I will be adding a section to the plugin as well. It would
>>> be nice to see what Claudia has done as well, so that we don't end
>>> up duplicating each others work... Claudia, have you committed your
>>> edits yet?

>>> hmm, now that I think of it, this might be the best route to take...
>>> this adds more work to Claudia's list, so Claudia if you need help
>>> just let us know... I imagine that in the future the vector overlay
>>> stuff will become completely part of core, so putting it in the
>>> working with vector layers section now might save some hassle later
>>> on as well...
>>>
>>> In this case, I think I'll add two new subsections for SPIT and the
>>> Overlay stuff in the Using core plugins chapter, pointing the user
>>> to the sections in the working with vector layers Chapter...

>>> see above

>>> This would be good. We should at least mention that there is an
>>> attribute table somewhere... also, the attribute table is relatively
>>> fast compared with other GIS, so this should probably be mentioned...

>>> Yeh, Jürgen would be the one to ask... the SSL mode change is
>>> probably one of the bigger changes, and increases PostGIS access
>>> speed by up to 5 times in some cases!
>>>

> thanks
>  Otto

Hi guys,

Sorry for my silence the last few days, I have been unexpectedly out of
town for the past 4 days :-(
I'm back now, and will have a look at the changes above... I did a bit
of work on the road, so I will try to commit these tonight when I'm
settled back in. I will keep you all updated with that, and hopefully we
can make this deadline!

As Otto mentioned in a previous email, I think it is really important
that we have an IRC meeting when this is finished to debrief, and talk
about what worked/didn't work for people etc. (I'll also make sure I
show up this time!).

Cheers,

Carson

--