[Qgis-community-team] adding martins document to the manual

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Nov 11 01:45:15 EST 2009

Otto Dassau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I almost added the vector analysis parts from Martin's document to the
> manual trunk. Most of the topics are about plugins (topology, postgis
> manager, osm, etc.). What are we going to do with that?

The manual is already over 100 pages. I don't think it should include
instructions for other plugins.
> Do we still want to describe only core plugins? I mean, we cannot
> provide howtos for all external plugin. I remember we wanted to
> concentrate on the "official" ones. But it would be nice of course, if
> we can put have a central place, where people find documentation about
> external plugins as well, or a link to a webpage, as for Carson's
> fTools.
>
> How can we handle this?

Not sure this is something we can handle. The plugin system is well
setup to allow anyone and her grandmother to add plugins. I suppose each
plugin writer will have to address the issues of documentation and manuals.
The best would be to add a set of "best practices" for plugin authors,
including instructions of where to place manuals and help documents.