[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Manual meeting on Monday 31.May at 4pm UTC!

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu May 27 04:08:18 EDT 2010

Hi,

from the doodle list I decided that we meet next monday 31.May at 4pm UTC! At
the moment 9 people will be available, that's fine and if some others find
time to join the meeting, even better. If you are not available, you can
read the logs afterwards. They will be here:

http://logs.qgis.org/qgis-community/%23qgis-community-team.2010-05-31.log

I will add more information about the tasks etc to the wiki the next days
and send the links and information to the qgis-community-team mailing list
as well, so you will be updated.

You find a wiki page about the meeting here. If you want you can of course
add topics and/or questions you want to ask during the meeting to the
agenda or the section "Questions from contributors (small FAQ) ". Just
create an account for the wiki for write access.

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/CTeamMeeting10

I know it is not easy to organize a meeting like that. If you need more
information, please ask on this list and I will try to answer all of them.
Here are some questions from Martijn I will start with:

* I have never used IRC before nor was I ever member of a community mailing
  list. I suppose that in the coming days I will find out how IRC works.
  Anything in particular I should pay attention to? I inscribed myself for
  the mailing list. I did not find a way however to see older messages on
  this mailing list... justed to see where everyone is talking about.

-> IRC: I added some notes about the IRC channel we will use to the wiki
meeting page: http://www.qgis.org/wiki/CTeamMeeting10 just have a look at
"General procedure" section and ask if it doesn't work for you

-> Mailing List: The mailing list page is here
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team and provides a
history
or you can search the QGIS mailing lists here as well:
http://qgis.org/en/advanced-search.html

* On the content side: I don't have a real idea yet what you will be
  asking for me. Is it a translation of new texts into another language or
  more the update of the english manual with new features or extra
  explanations.

-> We are looking for new contributors for the english manual. So it will
be about the update of the english manual with new features or extra
explanations. It won't be that difficult, if you have a little experience
with QGIS. But I also think that some people might have the feeling that
they are not "expert" enough for this task.

In that case it would also be prossible to work on translations, if you are
still interested, then

* Will you start explaining what you would like and than the tasks are
  divided between all the volunteers? Will this take about an hour?

-> Yes I will give an introduction about the tasks and the we discuss how
to split the manual into sections that people can work on. It would e.g
example make sense to have a first look at the current manual, to find out,
what sections are interesting or not and what might be possible or not for
you. http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/doc/manual/qgis-1.4.0_user_guide_en.pdf

I hope this answers some of the questions. I add this to the wiki as well
and as said, i will add more information the next days! Don't worry.

Looking forward meeting many of on monday! :)

Otto