[Qgis-community-team] Platform for documentation

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Tue Nov 23 16:08:51 EST 2010

MORREALE Jean Rocwrote :
Subject: Re: [Qgis-community-team] Collaborative platform for the
	documentation
On 11/23/2010 05:00 PM, qgis-community-team-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:58:19 +0100
> From: MORREALE Jean Roc<jr.morreale at enoreth.net>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-community-team] Collaborative platform for the
> 	documentation
> To:qgis-community-team at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Le 23/11/2010 14:40, Otto Dassau a écrit :
>> >  Paolo was even thinking about writing a QGIS plugin for the translation of
>> >  the docs - maybe this could be a solution, too.
> I don't think it would be a good to make our own tool for that purpose
> as it would limit the help we could get from other projects on this matter.
>
>> >  a) Find something to use instead of latex, that is easier to learn and can
>> >  produce nice html and PDF files.
> The use of restructured text/Docutils would make it possible to to keep
> a possible latex output while gaining others.

I agree here - surely we should not be writing custom QGIS tools to do a generic documentation job to which many teams have given much thought and have developed a variety of solutions. Restructured text/Docutils looks very promising from the point of view of simplicity (compared with LaTex) of writing, but is not intrinsically "collaborative" and might still involve us checking out and submitting svn source material. OK by me, but maybe not ideal for getting more people involved who would prefer web-based authoring toolsets.

Also whatever choice is made there will be a big effort needed to move existing sources to a new system.

Bogus