[Qgis-community-team] Seek for some user guide to join in the community as a new guy

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Oct 19 01:36:05 EDT 2010

Hi Elvisnake

Congratulations for joining the community of the best FOSS Desktop GIS
in the world! :-)

If you would like to work on translations you have 3 options of things
you can work on really:

- the application itself
- the QGIS User guide
- the QGIS web site

A good place to start is by visiting
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Community_Resources and reading about how the
process works, looking to see if anyone is working in these areas and
making contact with them if they are.

For the programming side, start by reading the CODING document which
is included with the QGIS sources - it explains our coding standards
and how to contribute your work. Then just start working on something
that interests you!

Good luck and we look forward to your contributions!

Regards

Tim

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:33 AM, wbprime <wbprime at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I am a new comer and I would like to do something useful joining QGIS
> community. But I don't know where and how to start.
>
> First I would like to introduce myself. I was born in China and learns
> English as a foreign language. As a graduate student of GIS, I can spend
> much time on working for this community. I never joined in such open source
> project before and so maybe some tutoring and practice is required. I think
> I can help, but the only thing is how to begin.
>
> I think I can act as a translator who translate English documents into
> Chinese. It might cost a little more time at the very beginning. I think I
> could also help in coding and modeling as I am now learning and working on
> them.
>
> I appreciate the culture of open source and would like to join in this large
> family. Maybe I am not very skillful and couldn't help even. I will also be
> very happy even if to make some friends.
>
> Waiting for your suggestions with best wishes.
>
> Sincerely Yours,
>
> Elvisnake Wang
>
> --
> Best wishes!