[Qgis-community-team] Documentation repo

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Wed Nov 30 12:53:21 EST 2011

Le 30/11/2011 18:13, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> Hi Alex,
>
> Am Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:20:07 +0200 schrieb Alexander
> Bruy<alexander.bruy at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Otto,
>>
>> 2011/11/30 Otto Dassau<dassau at gbd-consult.de>:
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> i just saw that you already have write access for
>>> QGIS-Documentation, so if you want you can merge (as Jean Roc
>>> already did for french_fr) the russian svn branch into
>>> QGIS-Documentation trunk, next to the french folder.
>>
>> Thanks for clarification. So we now don't use branches for
>> translations and keep all in master (maybe using tags for mark
>> manual versions), right? Is this approach accepted for all other
>> manuals (Coding and compilation, PyQGIS CookBook, Gentle GIS
>> Introcution and brochure)? I ask because we also have russian
>> translations for brochure and cookbook and there are plans to
>> translate all other docs too.
>
> no, not exactly right. We decided to have the current translation
> status after the migration from svn together with the english version
> in trunk. That's what we create right now. So all translation leads
> will get write access to merge their current translation status into
> QGIS-Documentation trunk.
>
> Later, for the translation of each QGIS version, it is planned that
> we create a translation branch with all languages. The translation
> leads then create a fork and organize/manage the translation of their
> language with their translators.
>
> Sorry that I haven't had time to prepare more and update the wiki. I
> will try to improve that soon...
>
> Regards Otto

I may have misunderstood, do you say that :
- in the future there will only be english_us
- that at each release of english_us a new localized branch will be
created (french_fr_1.8)

If yes it will be painfull; on svn each time you created a branch based
on the english folder the first thing I did was to overwrite all .tex
file with those of the previous release and add a diff folder containing
all the .diff between english_1.7 and english_1.8

What I would like to do is to keep a french_fr folder on the repo,
completly distinct from english_us from a content's point of view. When
a new manual is in the work, the previous release become a branch so the
current work stays on master. I fork master, contributors fork my fork,
I pull back there changes and I push them to upstream master french_fr