[Qgis-community-team] Updates on the new Documentation infrastructure

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:15:09 EDT 2012

Hi

Today I have committed latest version of Sphinx Makefile.
At this point it should be easy to compile messages and build
documentation, you can find a basic workflow in the readme file [1].

Now I am in for installing the web application on the server.
After several considerations, I decided to keep going with Pootle [1],
as Weblate [2] didn't seem to me too much mature at this time, and has
several pitfalls.
As both Pootle and Weblate are using git as a data storage (for
Weblate this is native, for Pootle an option), it should be easy at
some point to switch to Weblate if we are not happy with Pootle.

I have seen that the User Guide has been split in several directory (I
guess one for each chapter): one important consideration to keep in
mind is that all the .rst files should have a different name, even if
they are in different chapters (directory).
So if two chapters have a file with the same name, we should rename them.
This is because all the .po messages are sent by the actual builder to
the translated/language directory: obviously in that directory all the
files must have a different name.

Obviously it is ok for having more introduction.rst files, one for
each documentation effort (at this time in the user_guide and readme
directory)

ciao

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index?redirect=1
[2] http://weblate.org/