[Qgis-community-team] I'd Like to Write a "How-To" GPS-Qgis

GeneD dashiell.e at hawaiiantel.net
Tue Apr 24 20:30:58 EDT 2012

HI,
Did Anne/anybody, every submit a post to the wiki?
I am trying to move from using SHP files on Win 7 platforms to Linux,
Android and Qgis. I need GPS capability and will acquire an android tablet
of some sort. I have several different GPS receivers which will output NMEA.
I need guidance on software for the Android/GPS setup. Ideally I would be
able to import both rasters and vectors to the Andoid so that in the field I
can see where I am. Then I would want to export collected GPS data to QGis.
I am new to QGis (and Linux) and would appreciate your suggestions and
guidance.
I also would like ideas for an android tablet....I think a 7" size would be
the largest I would want for field use, I have read one review which noted
that one tablet seemed to be more visible in sunlight. This is a factor most
reviewers do not report. A table with a good GPS (the SiRF III chip for
example) would be a bonus if the internal GPS has been well-designed, some
are not.  I'll need bluetooth to connect to my GPS receiver.
Aloha from Kailua,
Gene