[Qgis-community-team] MapInfor to QGIS....Please help.....

naomi jackson naomijackson_fj at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 20:26:47 EST 2012

Hi I am new to Quantum GIS,
I work in the GIS dept for a regional Organisation here in
the Pacific (SOPAC a division of South Pacisfic Communities)in FIJI.

The project that i am working on is to migrate a Project
that i have completed in MapInfo 10.0 using Map Basic 10.0 into QGIS.
"Customised MapInfo Display Of Land Cover Of The Low
Lying islands"
I wish to display the same in QGIS.

My PC has :
·         Windows  XP(and so do the other users in the department
to which i will need to install QGIS in their systems when i get it working)
·         Python 2.7
·         QGIS 1.6.0

Is it possible
	*     Automatically open  a layer using python “considering Windows XP”(I
see a lot of examples on linux and Unix)…If so can anyone please guide me thru
some codes or sites for more clarification.
	*        Write a program to create a dropdown menu in
QGIS to select layers and it automatically zooms to the layer selected rather than
using the layer control to select manually.(WINDOWS XP)

I have a whole lot of questions I will
begin with these two…..

I appreciate your suggestions and hope to
get positive responses..

Thanks
Naomi