[Qgis-community-team] Translating qgis.org site

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:19:57 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 13:31 +0200, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there any info regarding plans about qgis.org website? If I'm not wrong
> it uses Joomla and some time ago was discussion about moving it on Django.
>
> I ask this because I want to translate qgis.org into Russian. If there are plans
> to move content maybe it is better to wait. If no - how site translation process
> is organized? Any additional tools are necessary?

Hi!
I talked to NathanW some while ago and he said something about that he
probably has someone for a (more professional) redesign.
Joomla is nice but I think we should go in a much slighter way to
improve speed and IMHO we definitely need a rework of usability on the
webpage (I am still sure that all important things should be written on
the first page - and ALL things are important ;) - be prepared for some
discussions)
I would say for QGIS 2.0 we really should think about a redesign (and
probably a slightly modernizes logo (still recognizable)).
My suggestion would be to start that on the upcoming HF in Lyon -
discuss about the structure (menu...) and technique (Django, Joomla) -
and probably should really ask someone for a neat design - clean and
clear ..
Of course also multilingualism is a big part - although I think we
should divide between really necessary (from a user point of view)
information and developer information - not everything should/can be
translated (and I assume a developer being able to speak English).

Nevertheless - I am always willing to explain the current way of
translation to you - but on your side I would postpone translation in
favor of pushing towards a redesign ;)
And no - for current webpage translation no external tools are necessary
- it is a joomla component (joomfish).

As a note I would also like to say that we are currently running joomla
1.5.24 where joomla started to make big improvements every half a year
since we started to use joomla - so joomla is currently at version 2.5
(IIRC) and upgrade/update is not possible without solving a lot of
issues/problems.

If someone is willing to discuss/redesign and sit down together with a
wine(beer) at the next HF I am more than willing to join..

kind regards
Werner