[Qgis-community-team] Publishing QGIS docs in ePub and/or HTML format

Fabio Spelta spelta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 07:23:26 EST 2012

Hello, I have been told in the forums
http://forum.qgis.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9873&sid=1bc03f7f67d111f9263e163baaaaacee
to write my suggestions here, so here I am.

Hello everybody. :)

That is, I could only find the PDF files of the documentation available for
download.
Briefly, my suggestion is: please consider building and publishing an HTML
or (even
better) a ePub version of the very same documents alongside with the PDFs.
This would allow owners of ebook readers and smartphones, whose screen
sizes are not huge,
to read and enjoy :) QGIS documentation on their devices without the need
to print it.

PDF is a very nice format but it is mostly for printing or to be read on a
big screen, as a monitor.
Being preformatted, it CAN be read on a ebook reader (or on a smartphone, as
I am doing), but it's tricky, and uncomfortable. Any format that could
adapt to the screen and font size would better fit those devices and if
such a download would be available that would be the preferred choice
for many, in my very humble opinion.

(by the way, I tried to build HTML out of the docs sources with the
purpose to build a .ePub file to share, but I got this error from
"make html":

latex2html -init_file l2h.conf  -split=+2 -dir gis_introduction -address "\
       © 2009 Chief Directorate: Spatial Planning \& Information,
/bin/sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Thank you for caring!
--
Fabio