[Qgis-community-team] Links to help people find QGIS blogs etc.

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Wed Jan 11 19:29:04 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

There are a lot of people sharing all sorts of information about QGIS
(tutorials, news, tips etc) via blogs, social networking pages (e.g.
https://plus.google.com/109126324126544815949
<https://plus.google.com/109126324126544815949> ) and other forums.

It would be nice to list somewhere as many of these sources as possible,
to help people find them - a new user looking at the website would be
unaware that any of this exists.

There is already a "QGIS planet" to list blogs.  But:

-       I can't seem to see any links to it from the main site.  Could a
link to it be added to the main page under community, or at the top,
with "Wiki|Forum|Bugs|Shop"?*

-       There are actually two planets, with slightly different blog
rolls.  (Am I correct in assuming http://plugins.qgis.org/planet/
<http://plugins.qgis.org/planet/>  is obsolete, replaced by
http://qgis.org/planet/ <http://qgis.org/planet/> ?  Would it be
possible for the two pages to include links to each other?).

For sources other than blogs (like the google plus page and the
stackexchange forum), would it be possible to provide links somewhere -
maybe under community, or in the side pane at the planet?

Or would it be better to keep them on a wiki page, so descriptions can
be included, and it is easier for people to add links?

Or is someone already working on this?

Regards,

Alister

* By the way, one of my pet annoyances is web sites with multiple menus
like this (The NZ government is possibly the worst offender).

Does it really make sense to have the wiki and the forum only available
in the menu at the top, but the mailing lists only available in the menu
at the left?