[Qgis-community-team] Internationalisation of Cookbook and User Manual

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Mar 23 00:11:56 EDT 2012

Hi all

@Otto - I have been rethinking the strategy we discussed in Zurich of
having translations in branches / subtrees.

Newer versions of sphinx support gettext for internationalisation[1].
Unfortunately the cookbook is translated by 'full copy' translation
which I think is going to be much more work for translators to
maintain in the future and misses out some opportunities for real
collaborative translation work. Can anyone think of a reasonable way
to move the existing translations into gettext? At the very least I
would like to ensure that we don't take this 'multiple copy' approach
when migrating the other documentation (especially the user manual).
@Paolo Corti - can you confirm if it was also your idea to use gettext
approach and if that works with the web translation platform you will
implement? By the way newer versions of QtLinguist can deal with .po
files too so there is a nice desktop gui option for doing translations
too.

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/latest/intl.html

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services