[Qgis-community-team] Translations of the website

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Aug 15 01:44:14 PDT 2013

Il 14/08/2013 22:15, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
> On 14-08-13 17:16, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Samstag, 10. August 2013, 21.38:33 schrieb Richard
>> Duivenvoorde:
>>>
>>> I'm with Werner. Please stay as much to plain Sphinx and
>>> Bootstrap as possible. In that way we keep stuff easily
>>> translatable.
>>
>> Is it difficult to adapt a professional Boostrap CSS e.g. from
>> https://wrapbootstrap.com/ ?
>
> The idea of bootstrap is that swapping in one of those themes
> should be easy. Though bear in mind that we currently use a theme
> which is explicitly usable for 'responisveness' (so the view adapts
> ok if seen on a tablet or phone).
>
> If you really mean 'adapting' as in 'change it to look ... better'
> I founnd it pretty hard to make changes which then look right in
> all different view-sizes/orientations etc etc
>
> But "The proof of the pudding is in the eating!" :-)

Hi all.

Glad to see things are moving. I seriously think we should publish the
new website in sync with the qgis2 release. Here my thoughts:
* KISS is still the best approach
* we should split website and documentation, as the two have little in
common
* for the documentation, IMHO plain sphinx styles are just fine, no
need to waste time in designing more complex stuff
* for the website, I think using a sphinx theming approach is fine; I
do not like ad hoc solutions, and I prefer to stick with shared
solutions; so I would use
http://ryan-roemer.github.io/sphinx-bootstrap-theme
adding upstream what we need (lang switch, better arrangement of site
and page menus, footer, what else?)
* then it's just a matter of bootstrap tuning, and css design (we do
not need anything fancy, plain simple stuff is best)
I'd be happy to contribute to the effort for a shared solution.

All the best.

- --
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu