[Qgis-community-team] website structure

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Tue Aug 27 03:06:41 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Now that we tackled some technical difficulties, and Eva is busy doing
some design/ui I thought to show this picture from one hackfest ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97361298@N07/9603909791/

It is a simple structure in which we should be able to embed all
information and documenation that we want.

My idea/dream is that we conform to this idea so we have some structure
we can build on:
-A- three entrances on the front/landing page
-B- all three bringing you to a second level pages
-C- (optional) a third level to serve as as a landing page
-D- NOW you are on the 'real info' or 'content'
This also fits pretty well in modern community sites like geonode.org as
referred by Jeffrey.

Had a discussion with Tim this morning about our/my 'pain' to transform
rst->(bootstrap)html, and we came to the following conclusions:

- for the documentation and real content pages, rst + normal layout
templates (beautified by Eva ;-) ) are actually good for that.
- for the levels ABC above, there is a mismatch between what we want to
see and what sphinx generates for us from rst

- BUT: if we can keep levels ABC small (maybe all together not more then
20 pages) we can decide to skip the rst step for those. We just create
those 'landing' pages in plain (sphinx templates==translatable!) html.
This (for me new) insight makes it easier to keep the site bootstrap AND
translatable.

So now: a nice design, and some graphic artists to make those images :-)

Regards,

Richard