[Qgis-community-team] Doc translation and related issues

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Jan 7 04:29:04 PST 2013

Hi Marie and Richard,

Am Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:17:56 +0100
schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>:

> On 07-01-13 11:19, Marie Silvestre wrote:
> > I'm back with a list of questions and remarks... (sorry!)
>
> No Problem !
>
> > First, it seems I do not have the rights to merge my last pull request
> > (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/32) or I can't see
> > where to click...
>
> Tim is the admin for Github, I asked (email) him to give you commit rights.

I added Marie to the Github "QGIS Documentation" team.

> > Then I was wondering if the pre_translate script is running because some
> > strings have obviously been updated since the first translation but do
> > not appear in the po files (and these parts stay in English in the
> > doc...).
>
> I think it is (Otto?)
>
> Maybe I screwed up some files for you. Sorry. Because your first pull
> request I could not automatically merge anymore, so I have tried to
> merge it here locally via the pre en post scripts.
> Maybe I failed :-(
>
> Another option would be that there is a small change in the sentence?
> Maybe the po merge then fails, and falls back to the english version?
>
> Can you run the scripts locally? Is it working with you there?
> Or can you give me an example, so I can have a look here locally?

Can you please check, if there is some problem, Richard described above?
Usually it should work... if not, I will have a look

> > Do we have to fill the po files header?
>
> Not sure if it is good for something? If somebody thinks it is good,
> please stand up :-)
> Otherwise: maybe make it som general qgis header?
>
> > There are 2 links for the doc :
> > http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/user_manual/index.html
> > http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/index.html
> > Which one is which?
> > (the first link is given in the QGIS-Documentation/readme.rst file)
>
> These are exactly the same.
> The first one is a apache rewrite rule for http://documentation.qgis.org
>
> Actually I think (after we filled the web site some more):
>
> http://documentation.qgis.org should point to a page like this:
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/index.html
>
> while
> http://www.qgis.org should point to
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/index.html

yes, the URL sounds good :)

> > Finally I have found an error in the en doc (both versions!) :
> > http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_gui.html#toolbar
> > "If you have accidentally hidden all your toolbars, you can get them
> > back by choosing menu option /Settings ‣ Toolbars ‣/."
> > Should be menu option "View" instead of "Settings".
>
> You could change it in the english version (that is the rst file that is
> in the sources directory).
> BUT be carefull with this. Because the names in the menus are different
> for different OS'es. I think what is written is valid for Linux. If it
> is different for Windows, we should maybe tell both ways?

This is not an error, because you View is GNOME and Settings is KDE etc. We
mentioned that in the QGIS_GUI section...