[Qgis-community-team] VPAT Questions on Stackexchange?

David Saeger saegeritup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 15:04:00 PST 2013

After attending a wonderful conference on Federal Applications of OS Geo
software I am re motivated to approach completing a VPAT for QGIS. My
estimation of the importance of doing so was reinforced after hearing some
knowledgeable friends of the OS Geo community who work in the federal
environment bemoan how hard it is to get software approved and specifically
point to the Section 508 compliance/VPAT (or lack therof) as a reason why.

What is a VPAT?:
Here is a general guidelines for Section 508 compliance:
http://www.uspto.gov/about/offices/cio/section508/14e.jsp

After my first go at this, there are a items VPAT that I am unable to
answer. It occurs to me that it would be great to use the mechanics of a
platform like stack-exchange to track the discussion and answers to some of
the questions posed by the VPAT and as an experiment I posted one of the
questions I had here:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/53454/qgis-vpat-section-1194-21c

The only thing I have received so far is a comment telling me that the
userbase of this forum is oriented toward a crowd who may not be suited to
answering these types of questions. I agree that it is a bit of an unusual
type of question to ask on that forum. I think however, that utilizing a
forum like stackexchange to help develop the VPAT would be a great example
of how OS projects can get these types of regulatory documents filled out
in a transparent and efficient way. I also think that it is possible that
some of the questions on the VPAT might benefit from input from a wider
audience than exists on the QGIS dev list serve.

Any thoughts? Should I just post my questions here? Do any of you have
suggestions for a better venue? Any of y'all want to take a crack at the
item I listed on stackexchange?

Thanks,

-David

--