[Qgis-community-team] Transifex updates

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Mar 22 14:02:21 PDT 2013

Hi

8<--------snip-----------

> With Tim's help I updated transifex again with create-transifex-resources.sh
> script and pushed all .po files to transifex from the current "manual_v1.8"
> branch. All files get a prefix v1-8-docs but as I can see this also happens
> for the web files.

Ok I can fix that with the web files - perhaps we should use a
completely separate transifex project for the website files....

> There is no seperation between docs and web

See above we can do that.

> and also not
> between the various documents - it seems all mixed up.

Unfortunately transifex lists files in a flat structure only, so we
have to rely on a naming scheme for the resources in order to provide
a logical arrangement. I welcome any suggestions on how we can do
that.

> And now we also have a
> lot of duplicated files that probably have to be removed in transifex for
> each language.

Within a given version there should not be any duplication. I will
flush out all the 'version 2-0' files and we can recreate those from
master.

> Then, as we found out before, we need to figure out, how to fix the errors
> in the .po files, because most of them cannot be pushed to transifex at the
> moment. I found them with fixed some of them manually and that works, but we
> need to find a better solution.
>
> At the moment I think that transifex might be a very nice solution, but we
> need a lot more testing and work

Agreed, at the same time it is very useful having people actually try
to use it and reporting their issues so we can see what issues need to
be addressed.

> and I am afraid that people already work
> with it and that translations get lost during our testing or that lots of
> conflicts appear, when we rename / remove / restructure it and make a tx pull
> again?

I guess it is a possibility until we finalise how things work. For now
I highly recommend to people to store offline copies of the po files
the work on too as backups at regular intervals.

> Would it be possible to structure the files as they are in github?

See above - I dont think so as transifex resources are a flat list. We
could create separate transifex projects for the different components
of the docs dir, but then we add to the overhead of team and
contributor management. I think the solution is in coming up with a
good resource naming scheme.

> How should we proceed here? I can spend some time on it, but I will be
> travelling until next wednesday and probably won't be able to work on it
> before again.

I'll keep looking at it over the weekend, and any help from the
translator community will be welcome.

Regards

Tim

> Regards