[Qgis-community-team] Transifex and old translations

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 06:32:13 PST 2013

Hi Richard,

2013/11/22 Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>:
> If I understand you correct, you found out that: when an English text
> (==key) changed, you do not have the translation of the original/old
> text anymore.
> While when you work with linguist, the ts file (not sure if this is also
> working for po files), is keeping these old translation strings in
> (file-) memory for a while...
>
> BUT I do not think you really loose valid translated strings?
>
> Am I right in this? (because your quote: "...After downloading .po files
> from Transifex (no matter via web interface using tx client) all old
> translations are empty..." could also be read that transifex is just
> loosing strings....

Yes, you understand me correctly. This is the issue I found. Sorry
if my description was confusing/misleading.

Qt Linguist save "history" in .ts files, and this also worked for .po files
when we used "old" workflow (with pre_translate.sh script)

> But to answer your question: I do NOT agree with you:
>
> 1) the idea of using Transifex is to have a lot of eyeballs/hands around
> which can "just start translating". So while you, as an individual,
> encounter/feel above as a problem, my idea is that just by having more
> translators around, this is less of a problem, because somebody else
> will 'just translate this string as it was a new one'...
>
> 2) transifex (the web interface) itself is holding a 'history' for you,
> and is also sharing strings between the different QGIS translation
> projects. So indeed if you use the web interface, I think you will not
> suffer so much from the problem you have.

I'm not against Transifex, and I understand that it more attractive for peoples,
especially if they not familiar with git and other "low-level" tools.

Working via web interface require permanent internet connection, in some
cases this is not possible (for example, when traveling or when internet is
broken for any reason). So peoples may prefer to work offline by downloading
.po files from Transifex, translating them and uploading finished translations.
In this case losing "history" is big disadvantage even if team is large.

> - we can ask Transifex to provide the functionality: 'put old strings in
> memory for a while'

If this possible, it will be really cool.

> Keep on translating please :-)

Sure, I'll continue with translating, but this will require much more time
now.

--
Alexander Bruy