[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] Saving layers

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Oct 17 09:47:11 PDT 2013

On 17-10-13 15:36, Jonathan Moules wrote:
> Hi List,
>   I'm wondering if QGIS can save links to layers as stand alone files,
> similar to how ArcMap does it.
> I know I can save the style, but I want to save everything about the
> layer including data location etc in a file which I can then share with
> others. The style only saves the style.
>
> I can't seem to find such a function - is there one?

Hi Jonathan,

one 'hidden' feature is that if you save a style as a qml file next to
your data (shape file), and name it exactly the same as your shape,

BUT: only working with filebased data, and NOT saving your extent I think.

You can save a project, and use it as a template. And if I recall
correct there was some way to use one project as a subprobject for
another one, but I cannot find it anymore...

Regards,

Richard