[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-developer] QGIS context help

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Oct 23 12:14:44 PDT 2013

On 23-10-13 18:51, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> Hi all and sorry for cross-posting.
>
> We already have context help for some dialogs in QGIS, but this
> texts available not for all dialog and most of them are outdated.
> Moreover, docs and this help used different format (RST for docs,
> HTML for context help).
>
> Keeping context help up-to-date requires additional efforts and
> maybe separate team. Maybe it is better to drop context help in
> favor of documentation? Opinions?

+1

I was actually hoping that we could get rid of the context help, in
favour of pointing to paragraphs/anchors in the manual. Either view it
in some kine of webkit-dialog, or just with the default webbrowser.

Actually that was also reason to choose for bootstrap: the ability to
view the docs in all kind of (msgbox)-widths, maybe use some slightly
different css.

Not sure about the possibilities, but we could choose to point to online
help, OR package the docs (per language) in a way that it can be used
offline.
As an example: if the grey boxes like about 'Operators' in
http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/field_calculator.html
would have an anchor we could point to it.

Regards,

Richard