[Qgis-community-team] structure

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Sep 9 00:40:22 PDT 2013

On 09-09-13 08:43, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> so you plan to have only one make building all, website and docs?
> I still do not see the usefulness of searching docs and website together: it might be
> useful as an option, I think it is confusing as a default.

Really? In my view the 'current version' documentation is part of the
website (note: not the sources).

If I go to qgis.org, because I want to know if QGIS is able to do
something with my Oracle DB, I just want to search: "oracle'.
If the docs are NOT part of the website, you will only find something
when somebody wrote something about it in the features list or so.
Then you have to go to the documentation website to do this search again?

Another argument is that if we have the currentdocs in our site, it just
works nice with our Table Of Contents, thereby giving you context.
Having different sites, makes it hard to know where you are (because you
actually switch from one site to the other). You fly from one in
another, having different tocs etc (or somebody must learn me how to
overcome this :-) )

I agree, that beside this 'site+currentdocs' site, we should (and we
technically must) create some parallel docs sites for the older and
master docs. THESE will only be searchable within itself.

Besides this, I hope that some SEO guru will help us to just hand over
our sites to Google, so if you search 'qgis oracle' you just dive that
part of our docs.

But, if I'm the only one who sees it like this, we do multiple sites.
(plz decide because I'm actually already doing this, so I will halt now)

Regards,

Richard