[Qgis-community-team] translation: breaking ts file up in parts for transifex ?

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 05:55:28 PST 2014

Hi Richard,

> For Documentation and Website, nobody should get .po files from Github.
> If Application would come in Transifex, the same rule: you should NOT go
> to Github and get it from there.

This is bad approach for application IHMO (well, actually I think this is bad
approach at all :-) ). Now I can update .ts file and translation in any time,
so translation will always about 100%. If we will use same workflow as used
for Documentation and Website then I'll have lot of untranslated string before
release.

> At Transifex, you can get the .ts file from their website (and thereby
> locking the translation from the website for one day if you want).
> You can then use Linguist to offline translate the ts file (you got from
> transifex). After Linguist-translating you can upload that .ts file back
> to transfex and it will be merged there.

Yes I know about this and this is way I worked: download .po files from
Transifex, translate them using Qt Linguist and upload them back after
translation.

> Your second point: yes, you are right. You do not have the old string
> stuff, in Linguist then. But Transifex is getting better and better, and
> for example if we translate via transifex itself now, you get
> Suggestions and History too. But we win and loose some
> functionality/options.

Uhmm, this is a matter of taste. I just logged into my Transifex account
to test file you mentioned and I found that I completely loose in new
Transifex interface. I spend about 10 minutes to find how I can now
download file.

Also translating via Transifex requires internet connection. Unfortunately,
stable connections available not everywhere. For example here internet
sometimes become very slow and unstable. I already loosed translations
for two relatively large sections because of internet failures when translating
via Transifex.

--
Alexander Bruy