[Qgis-community-team] Database Modules in Training Manual

Jeffrey Johnson jjohnson at boundlessgeo.com
Tue Jan 7 08:47:28 PST 2014

Hi All,

I've gotten back to working on the training manual port to 2.0 this
week and had a question/idea to bring up here. Module 14 currently
titled "PostgreSQL" is actually much more about general database
concepts than about PostgreSQL specifically. It makes sense to me to
rename this one to "Database Concepts" and create a new module about
actually using databases in QGIS, specifically about using the DB
Manager. There doesn't seem to be any content in the training manual
about the use of DB Manager currently, and there really should be. I
think this new module could also include a bit about the use of
pgAdmin III as well and could potentially cover the use of spatialite
DBs as well since that is a default option in DB Manager. There is
also one small section in the PostGIS section about the use of the
SPIT plugin, but since this has been superseded by the DB Manager, It
also makes sense to replace that section with DB Manager based
content.

If this sounds ok to everyone, I will go ahead and update section 14
as much as is necessary and close out that ticket and start on this
new module. If I dont hear back in a few days, I'll just get going
assuming this sounds ok to everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff