[Qgis-community-team] "Translating" screenshots

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri Nov 7 00:30:15 PST 2014

On 06-11-14 16:26, Alessandro Sarretta wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'd like to "translate" some screenshots related to the Italian version
> of the visual changelog
> (http://www.qgis.org/it/site/forusers/visualchangelog260/index.html).
> My idea is simply to replicate the screenshots with the Italian
> interface of QGIS; of course the layers and information in the
> screenshots can't be exactly the same.
> Is there a way to upload "translated" versions of images in Transifex
> (or somewhere else)? Which is the best way to do it? Are there best
> practices or strict rules?

Hi Allessandro,

translated screendumps are 'resources', so not kept on transifex but in
Github.

During the build of the docs first all english images/resources are
copied into the build, and then all translated ones overriding these IF
available.
See here a German example:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/resources/de/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector

So you have to make yourself comfortable with git to do this and via
pull requests get them pulled into github.

Main points to note (besides the one here
http://docs.qgis.org/2.2/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/README.html#translate-screenshots):
keep the names and paths EXACTLY the same, but only put them in
/resources/<YOURLANGUAGE>/restofpath

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS

We have to pull together the different places about building and
translating. it is now scattered around in docs, website and some github
readme's:

http://docs.qgis.org/2.2/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/do_translations.html

http://docs.qgis.org/2.2/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/README.html#translate-screenshots

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation#translating-the-english-qgis-documentation